POSITION: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
The Staff Accountant works under the supervision of the Controller. This position is a member of the Accounting team for the company. This Staff Accountant must possess strong time management and analytical skills, attention to detail, and solid communication abilities. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Strong technology skills are critical, particularly expertise with Microsoft Excel.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Performs mid-level general ledger account reconciliations, verify accuracy of data, and report, identify, and correct errors made by both internal and external personnel
- Support timely monthly, quarterly, half-year, and year-end financial close, including assigned journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, accruals, and overall maintenance of all operational management accounts
- Assists in providing schedules and commentary with respects to operating maintenance accounts results and variances, and with the production of working capital, cash-flow reports, as well as applicable commentary
- Assist the Controller with daily and weekly tasks for the Accounting Team
- Maintain and update records and reports for profit and loss, taxes, liabilities, and assets
- Prepare special financial reports as requested by management by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
- Additional duties as assigned by management
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualification:
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, regulatory standards and compliance requirements
- Proficiency in MS Office, including the ability to operate computerized accounting, specifically Microsoft Dynamics – GP and spreadsheet programs
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL and ACCURACY – Quality and organization are of utmost importance.
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
- Excellent data entry and math skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Must work well in a team environment and maintain good communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with times of high stress and volume.
- Ability to use good judgment and logic.
- Good punctuality and attendance.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Mature attitude.
- Pride in work.
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible.
- Must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
- Regularly spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
- Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly
- Regularly spend long hours in intense concentration reviewing and entering financial information into a computer
- Regularly use hands and fingers to handle, control or feel objects
- Regularly see details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- Regularly speak clearly so listeners can understand
- Regularly understand the speech of another person
- Frequently work in on projects that require deadlines
- Frequently bend to file and maintain files
- Occasionally lift 5-10 pounds
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting/Finance (required).
- CPA with minimum 4 years prior experience in public accounting (preferred)
- Experience working in wholesale distribution company.
- Experience managing multiple companies.
- Experience with international companies.
- Defined accomplishment of automation, streamlining processes, and moving to a paperless workflow.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains (GP).
- Experience with fast paced growth companies led by an entrepreneur
- Experience with closely held/managed companies